Lipson Uniting Church (first called Burrawing Mine Wesleyan Chapel) was the second church to be built on Eyre Peninsula in 1869 at the site of the Burrawing Copper Mines when they opened, has an interesting and colourful history. Services were conducted first in the Burrawing Mine carpenters shop and then at Mine School site. In 1873 a stone chapel was built with local stone 40 foot by 21 foot at the copper mine site. However when the copper rush ended 1874 the miners left the district, but despite this worship continued at Burrawing for the next 20 years!
In 1893 the stone chapel was dismantled and shifted ‘stone by stone’ into the township of Lipson and rebuilt into a chapel again. The chapel was then renamed Yaranyacka Wesleyan Chapel, but three years later in 1896 it was renamed Lipson Wesleyan Chapel.
A year later in 1897 Lipson Wesleyan became part of the Port Lincoln Mission Circuit was formed with Tumby Bay Poonindie, Lake Wangary, Dutton Bay, Warrow Easthold Fountain and Little Swamp Wesleyan chapels and shared the Wesleyan Methodist Preachers.
In more recent years Lipson Uniting Church and Port Neill Uniting Church (until 2018) are now linked with Tumby Bay Uniting Church. Pat Carr was the heart and soul of Lipson Church for many years, but now Alison Speirs leads the Lipson church with much warmth and a love of preaching God’s Word which is much appreciated. Services are held on 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month at 8am in daylight saving and 8.30am during winter months followed by a cuppa and toast. Women’s country style breakfasts and speaker are held at Lipson hall. Check out Lipson Church on Facebook!










